Weekly Report 9/07/2017

Club Sailing - Last Tuesday evening’s race took place in a light south-westerly to start, but it faded as the race progressed and on the last lap disappeared completely, only to fill in again from the north.

Dan and Tracy in their RS400 showed the way, were first around the course and crossed the line first ahead of the two Ospreys, Scorpion and Redwing. The three club Lasers fought a race within a race and they were finished a lap short of the others and before the wind failed completely so may well have taken the race on handicap. Unfortunately, results are not to hand.

Saturday’s races for the July Cup took place in grey overcast and drizzly conditions with a stiff south-westerly breeze. Seven boats competed, but it was the Osprey of Ted/Lucas who took the honours in both races, followed in the first by Dan/Tracy, then Mike/Deanna, and in the second by the same boats the other way round.

Two club Lasers competed, but one of those suffered gear failure and retired. Igor in the other competed well with the faster boats and only minimal swimming, and the Cherub provided moments to treasure for those on the water with several perfectly executed capsizes. By contrast John in the Comet kept his ship upright despite the boisterous wind.

Junior Report

Fortunately the rain stopped around 5 pm and most sailors except the beginners went on the water. They had a couple of race practice session in readiness for the junior regatta.

The stage 1 group moved on to stage 2 shore work.

Junior regatta

Last Saturday we ran a regatta for our local youngsters. Thirteen took part sailing in 10 boats, three Fevas, two Lasers, one Topper, three Teras, and an Optimist.

Blake and Alistair first gave a briefing about the plans for the day and the sailing course to be set. The boats were rigged and on the water by 11.30, with the first race started around 11.45. Wind was from the NW force 3 and provided good conditions, resulting in all boats managing to finish their race,

Oscar and Luke were first Feva, with Osian and Daniel second and Jasmine and Mairwen third, all managing two laps.

James was first Laser, with Brynley second.

In the Tera race, Iolo was first, with Ella second. Thea did not finish.

Tom was first Topper and Scarlett, just seven, in an Optimist completed her first race. Well done to all.

The wind then changed direction to the SW and just after the second start increased to force 4 to 5 which was too much for most of the fleet. However, four of them still managed well, with Oscar and Luke finishing first after two rounds without a capsize. Osian and Daniel finished one round. This time Brynley was first Laser, with James second suffering a capsize.

With many mums and dads in attendance in the four Ribs and a Topper, all boats and crews were returned safely to the harbour after most practising their capsize drill and swimming skills.

Overall winners on handicap were Oscar Thompson and Luke Subbiani-Shaw in a Feva, with James Goodwin-Close and Brynley Moore in Lasers joint second.

Terry and Matthew provided the welcome BBQ to finish off a successful day.

Many thanks again to all the helpers on shore and afloat which made this event such a success.


Cruiser racing

Five boats started the race on Sunday in a pleasant force 3-4 SW. This gave a long beat to Eel Point buoy just off Caldey. Usually, tacking inshore pays off, but the tide had already started to ebb in the middle of the Sound, which meant all boats came together at the EelPoint buoy whichever way they went.

John Griffiths in Tejeda rounded first and expertly hoisted their spinnaker and pulled away. Blake in Slipstream rounded second, but their spinnaker took some time to fill correctly and Steve in Aries pulled past.

The leg from North High to Tenby Harbour was a close reach, but Tejeda managed to keep their spinnaker up. It looked as though Tejeda was going to finish well ahead, but just before crossing the line, the wind disappeared and they stopped. Aries also fell in to a hole in the wind. Slipstream also slowed, but the wind filled in again and Slipstream had closed up on the other two enough to win on handicap.

Phil Rees in Accolade and Denny Young in Heather kept the wind all the way in with the result that Accolade finished third. The first and last boats finished within 90 seconds of each other on handicap, a very close result.

 Tenby Regatta Photos

The photos from this years regatta are available to view at the link below, high resolution unwatermarked version are available to buy for £5. Please contact the club directly for more information.

Photos From Tenby Regatta 2017